Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, August 03, 2006
Going in Circles
I let Pidge out for the first time Tuesday (thank God it was before the blackout) by coaxing him out with "Girlfriend," his little green toy. I just let him sit on my hand and trill and peck at "her."

His flight feathers on his right side, where he had the blood feather removed, are pretty well useless; to preen them he had to chew a lot of them away and the feathers are rather ragged. So when he tried to fly, just a little, he basically made a slow curve to the right and down to the floor. He's got to fly a little, keep the wings exercised, but it still frightened me a bit.

Yesterday I let him loose a little more, mostly on my hand with Girlfriend, but also let him wander about the top of the cage. He went to the perch in the back where I have taped a button that says "Anything not fastened down is a cat toy" with "cat" crossed out and "budgie" substituted and played with it and chirbled for a while. He was sitting on my shoulder at the computer (about three feet from the birdcage) and launched himself at it and barely made it; he's not getting much loft at all.

It bugs him, too; he gets his breath back and scolds.