Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, July 28, 2006
Hope Is the Thing With Feathers
When I got home yesterday Pidge was still looking a bit rough. It almost looked as if he'd had some bleeding again. On the positive side he was not sitting squatted up with eyes half closed like a sick bird does, but he hadn't eaten a lot and was sitting straight up, like a meerkat on its hind legs. He looked uncomfortable. So I did as I'd planned to do anyway and called the vet to get an appointment for today.

By ten o'clock he seemed to have perked up a little, eaten a bit, was chirping. But he still looked a mess; dried blood all over both primaries and under his right wing where the blood feather was. I tried to wash it off some but he struggled so much that I quit and it didn't seem to make it any better.

James said thoughtfully before we went to bed, "It's a shame you have to manage him. I wish you could take Willow with you." When she'd had the moles removed and then the stitches taken out, they left a stitch in.

I took her with me anyway.

Pidgie looked more comfy this morning; instead of standing up like a meerkat he was in his usual position, relaxed with his feathers fluffing over his feet. He'd been preening on and off, but still looked wretched appearance-wise. However, he was in good spirits as I popped him in his carry box. Wil, as usual, was a nervous wreck in the car; she cried and whined all the way to the vet while Pidge gave her this "What is Sister going on about now?" expression.

The moment she was at the vet's office she kept trying to leave. I'd coax her toward me, say "sit, stay" and a second later she was heading for the door.

The tech eventually brought her in the back, removed the stitch, and returned her, in about three minutes. She acted like she was back from the wars. :-)

Then we went into the examing room: second verse, same as the first; I couldn't keep her away from the door.

Meanwhile, Dr. Mike and his assistant came in and Pidge was examined. He said they got the blood feather all out properly, then wrapped birdlet in a towel and washed his wing feathers off with peroxide so if there was any more trouble I could see it. Pidge cawed—it's the only way I can describe the sound he makes when you grab him—and bit at the towel and glared at everyone when he was placed back in his carry box, but he felt better and chowed down on his seed tonight as well as taking bites of both fruit pellets and millet. He's still very raggy looking and is on cage rest at least until Sunday, which annoys him now that he's feeling better.