Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, July 05, 2006
Friday Five (late because real life took priority)

1.) What fandom do you center on most?

I'm not sure I'm in any organized fandoms anymore. I belong to a House group, still have my Remember WENN site and belong to that group, watch any number of programs that have fandoms, but I don't think I really center on anything anymore (except improving my Lassie website when I can). Maybe that's the answer there. :-)

2.) Do you contribute to it much (write fanfiction, draw fanart, participate in online communities and discussions)?

See answer above. Yes, I've done fanfic in that category. Most of my fanfic was written around WENN. I also have fanfiction I dug up at my mom's: some Star Blazers stories, the Trapper John M.D. story that was published in "The Gregory Harrison Journal" (I wasn't much of a Gonzo fan, but I got the opportunity to base the protagonist of the story on comedian Dave Allen, so I'm particularly fond of that story), and another Trapper John effort that never saw print, about Trapper meeting Frank Burns at a medical conference. I did fan art a long time ago—sold a picture of Jack the dog from Tales of the Gold Monkey for a tidy profit at Omnicon in 1983.

3.) Do you think that such things are good or harmful to the fandom and why?

I think fan fiction and fan art keep the show alive in the public. I don't mind when writers explore different facets of a character, but it bothers me when they make really wild changes, like making a guy who has always been steadfastly heterosexual enter in a same sex relationship. If a relationship the character might be interpreted that way, it's interesting to explore it, but 180° turns just don't seem right.

4.) Do you think its good or harmful for the original creator?

Most of the creators will say harmful, but I don't think it is. Many writers of books allow people to "play in their universe," too.

5.) Why do you like this fandom in particular?

Which? I really enjoyed WENN fandom because I'm a 1930-1940s fan and the setting fit in perfectly; it was just providential that the characters were so marvelous as well!