Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, June 11, 2006
The Wild, Wild Gordon
Finally got my Wild, Wild West first season set and have watched the first two episodes. Oh, that theme song brings me back, watching episodes on that old 19" Magnavox "portable" (portable in name only; it was called that because it stood on a cart and wasn't a console television)! I was nine years old when it premiered, and from the beginning, right through the last episode when I was age fourteen, my favorite character wasn't James West—oh, he was a great agent; I'd really want him on my side in a tight spot, but my heart belonged to Artemus Gordon. He could mix it up, too, maybe not as good as Jim, but he was also educated and well-read, an inventor, a master of disguises, a wine conneisseur, and a Shakespearean whiz and actor. Maybe Robert Conrad was the star, but Ross Martin was simply pure gold. As for me, I'll take the brains over the brawn any day.

I was thinking that I'd love to do a "Wild, Wild West According to Artemus Gordon" web page, with a list of all Artie's disguises and inventions and perhaps some quotations, especially from his infamous Aunt Maude. It would be fun to work on as (hopefully) all the seasons are released.

(And of course now I'm waiting for the second season to be released, with my two favorite episodes, "Night of the Man-Eating House" and "Night of the Returning Dead." Oh, yeah, and there's "Night of the Flying Pie Plate" with William Windom, too...)