Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, June 15, 2006
Thursday Threesome

::Variations on a Theme::

Onesome: Variations-- Do you you dress the place (or yourself) up for the July 4th holiday? I've seen plates and napkins and such, but this year one store has red, white and blue string lights for the house! Is that a bit much?

Oh, I don't know. Independence Day is our nation's holiday and whether or not you agree with the current regime and policies, it's nice to celebrate the ideals the United States is founded on. That's what you're doing when you sing the national anthem or perform the Pledge of Allegiance, after all; you're not saying you support the present president, or the last, or the Dumbocrats or the Repulsivecans, you're saluting "We the People..." and all the ideas summed up in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. People refuse to sing the "Star Spangled Banner" or pledge the flag because they think it supports the war in Iraq or the President's energy policy. Nope. Neither have anything to do with Bush, or Clinton, or any president or any policy or any war.

But to stumble off the soapbox, yes, I'm planning to dress up the new house a little more. I didn't really have room to store many decorations in the old one (the Christmas stuff alone was about to burst one 30"x30" closet). So I've already bought a few things this year and plan to buy a few more. Not sure if lights will be part of the deal, but red-white-and-blue lights are fine with me.

When I was a teenager I had a set of blue shorts and a red and white blouse and would put red-white-and-blue ribbons in my hair. I have a red-white-and-blue hairbow now.

Twosome: on a-- wing and a prayer: How do you feel about flying? ...or do you prefer ground transport?

Actually I like to fly if I'm going somewhere and only a short time to do it in. A week's vacation and a long distance to go aren't conducive to a car trip. On the other hand, security at the airport and the cattle-car coach section is enough to drive anyone to...well, drive. I like car trips. You see the varied countryside, meet people from different areas of the country, etc.

Threesome: Theme-- The softball for this week: What is your favorite movie theme song or arrangement to listen to?

Oh, gosh. It's either Thomas Newman's Little Women score or Basil Poledoris's score for Lassie (the 1994 version). Television: winner hands down is David Fanshawe's Flambards score. "I'll sing you a song of Christina..." anyday!