Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, June 22, 2006
Thursday Threesome

::Hurry up... and wait::

Onesome: Hurry- What kind of driver are you? Always in a hurry, speeding to your destination, or going along with the flow whilst sticking to the speed limit exactly? Or are you somewhere in between? If you don't drive, are you always in a hurry, more laid back or some where in between, personally?

I must admit that sometimes I do drive too fast, but never to the point that I "outdrag" anyone on the road. I am usually keeping pace with the traffic, which goes at tremendously high speeds here. I am usually doing 70-75 mph on the way to work and have people tailgating me and/or passing me. This morning in the left lane because the exit for I-85 North is on the left, I was passed by someone using the HOV lane as a passing lane. This happens more often than you might think.

I used to like to drive, but not anymore, unless I'm on vacation. Everything around here seems to be 45 minutes away from everything else. (We're at least just 5 minutes drive from a grocery store—but it's Food Depot and not all that good a grocery store—and a Dollar General.) It's at least 45 minutes to work, most of that done at 75 mph. Scary sometimes, especially when you see the accidents at the side of the road.

Twosome: up- What drives you up a wall when you are driving? If you don't drive, just tell us your biggest pet peeve.

CELL PHONES! I mean, everyone seems to have these damn little warts surgically attached to their ears (and one hand). I was behind a guy on Tuesday whose car looked utterly bizarre as it jerked and slowed and then sped up during a left turn. I could see the guy yapping on the cell holding the phone with his right hand and trying to make the left turn with only his left hand! Others are so into their call they are clueless and miss signal lights and stop signs.

I can't say I've never used my phone in the car, but I only talk at stop lights and hang up immediately when it looks like the light is going to change. It's very rare and usually a 30-second conversation with James calling to ask me to get something or pick up something. I don't carry on long conversations as I've seen some people do, five and ten minutes at the time as I drive behind them or next to them.

One of my contacts told me yesterday that he was on "drive time" and was using it to catch up on all his voice mail. How on earth can he concentrate on the road if he's concentrating on his cell phone?????

Threesome: and wait- You rushed to get where you needed to go on time, and now you face a wait. Your date's not ready, your table in the restaurant you booked isn't ready, or the doctor is running behind, whatever it is, you were on time, but they aren't. How do you react? Do you complain, sit and wait, all the while silently fuming, or just settle in and wait, accepting it as part of life?

It depends on what's holding things up. The doctor's always late; it's a given—I bring a book. But a lot of times you end up waiting because of inattention. For instance, the last time I went to the doctor they told me the doctor was on time. Yet I didn't get called for my appointment until 30 minutes after the time, and only after I went up to the desk to ask...I think the clerk forgot to put me in their little computerized queue, because she was messing with the computer after I asked her, saying she "couldn't get it to come up." Uh-huh. Sure. I do stew some; my time is valuable and a lot of these places have the attitude that the only thing better you have to do with your time is wait.