Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Superspecial
Anyone catch the special on A&E last night about Superman? Of course the last part of it was publicity for the new movie, but it was really a nice overview of the character and the different media he has been featured in, at least as much conversation as you can fit into a two-hours-with-those-damn-commercials! While they didn't go into big deal about Silver Age/Golden Age/Earth 2 universes/all the retconning gone on in the comics during the year, they did talk abou the comics some and show a representation of art over the years. (I have to say I don't like the modern art that gives Superman a chin the size of a shovel. I mean, the guy's got a chin bigger than Jay Leno these days!)

One of the better tidbits was that the first appearance of an actor wearing a Superman suit took place at the 1939 New York World's Fair. Ray Middleton was the guy in the Supes suit. The name immediately struck me as familiar, but I couldn't place it, so looked him up on the IMDb. Ohmygosh, it was the gentleman who played Col. Thomas McKean in 1776!