Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, June 21, 2006
"On the Cape of Cod"
As Radar O'Reilly would say...

Classic Cape Cod

I've never seen any of these things. My Dad wouldn't go out on the Cape in summer on a bet (frankly, I didn't blame him because getting out to the Cape in the summer consists of spending hours in literally bumper-to-bumper traffic via Route 3—we'd watch the scenes on the news). The furthest we'd gotten out on the Cape was the couple of times we went to the Cape Cod Canal when the smeltings or whatever kind of fish it was were migrating. I wasn't much interested in fish. We did drive out to Hyannisport during one of those trips so we could stare at the Kennedy Compound, which I remember being behind a small body of water and a big tall electrified fence. Otherwise we never made it past the "muscle" of the "arm" of the Cape.

A few years ago when we were on vacation we did drive out to the "elbow" to see Chatham Light (weather reports in RI always include a report from Chatham and I'd always wanted to see what it looked like). Poor Mom had...um, elimination...problems so we left very late and didn't get any further than that. The oceanfront from the lighthouse (which, surprisingly, was very small) was all I could have imagined, a breathtaking interface of blue sea, sand beach and wild grass.

Would love to go again...offseason!...sometime.