Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, June 04, 2006
Flock at the Feeder
While we had no suet cake, the bird population at the feeder decreased sharply. Occasionally a chickadee or two would pass by and sometimes what looked like a blackbird (not a starling).

Now that there's a new suet cake in place, the chickadees turn up in the early morning. Right now there seems to be a flock out there—two of them are quarreling with each other. We've been seeing this little bird for several days but could never get close enough to ID it. Friday I managed to spy him closer from the bathroom window. Aha, looks like a nuthatch.

I noticed a little bird with spots on his breast sitting on one of the arms of the feeder support. I could get very close to the window without him fleeing if I stayed very still. Later I was a bit further away and another bird flew up to feed him. So it was a young bird...then mama turned. It was a bluebird and her baby, similar to this.