Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, May 15, 2006
Sweet Sky Blue
I'd forgotten to mention how wonderful the weather has been; it's like late May or early June in New England (without insane heat waves like last year's). Yesterday the sky continued to be winter blue and there was a brisk breeze. Even in late afternoon when it got warm you could stay cool by driving through the trees. According to the forecast this will last through Thursday; pity it can't be like this on Saturday for the party, when it would be nice to have all the windows flung open and fresh air filling the house as everyone sat around and chatted.

The old house was terribly compartmentalized and not built for air circulation unless the attic fan was set roaring to life and physically dragged air through the house. Each breeze ran into a wall upstairs. In the kitchen/living room this was partially our fault for not having the sliding glass doors fixed so some type of circulation would exist between the open front door and the back yard, but we both hated that door and were holding out for french doors. Besides, if left open it seemed no matter how we treated the ants still came waltzing in.

The den only had one small window, the one that existed when it was a garage and very little air came into the room. It was a pity because otherwise the den was very comfy.

In the new house all I have to do is open all the windows—the doors don't count right now because they don't have screens—and if there is the slightest breeze it will come in and move delightfully all over the main floor. When it's warm I can supplement this with fans. It sure was nice yesterday!

The only trouble with fresh air is that it makes me sleepy! I get envious of people who say warm spring air invigorates them. From when I was small my mom discovered that the best way to make me sleep was to put me out in a warm breeze. ::click!:: I was off like that proverbial light. Today I still nap better in the car than I sleep at night. (This is probably because I'm simply not sleepy at the time I need to go to bed to get up at 6 a.m. It is quite a chore to get to sleep early.)