Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, May 05, 2006
...Nor Snow Nor Dark of Night"
But a dead battery would do it.

After the guy came about the screens I headed out—it was after noon—did some errands, went to the bank to get the safe deposit box they said I could have for free (it's really not free, but it's only $5 a year). The staff seemed after-lunch lethargic; the guy helping me could barely keep from yawning. He was so slow I didn't even bother asking him about getting a CD; I hadn't had lunch and was feeling definitely queasy.

When I got home there was a big box with a picture of a receiver and a remote on it from Dish Network on the front porch! Except I picked it up and brought it inside and it weighs barely anything. They don't make them that light these days, do they?

Anyway, I finished more housework, then was taking Willow outside when the post office van stopped outside the door. Looked like the carrier had my batik floats from the Vermont Country Store.

She looked rueful and soon I understood why: her battery was dead and she'd just shut off the engine to bring me my packages. Someone at another location had just jumped her off and told her not to shut off the engine, but force of habit had been too strong. Plus her cell phone was dead. I don't have any jumper cables, but I let her borrow my cell phone and she must have called her emergency number two dozen times; it was busy the whole time. She finally didn't want to use up any more of my minutes, so I told her to go up to the sales office. It didn't look like any of the work crew was still there, but I couldn't see the whole driveway (our neighbors with the half dozen cars blocked the view) and it was always possible Gwen or Elizabeth might have some jumper cables.

Soon she came back, got the rest of her mail and delivered it on foot, then went to sit in her truck (she got there just in time to avoid a downpour). Evidently she finally got ahold of someone because they just brought her a new truck and towed the old one away.