Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, May 04, 2006
Mom's Work Is Never Done
I saw the funniest thing going out to lunch: I was walking on the grass between the building and the stand of trees at the back (actually it's the front of the building, but everyone thinks of it as the back). On the pine straw scattered at the edge of the grass and into the trees I saw three squirrels looking for food. As I came up, the one furthest away from me decided I was a threat and made a bound toward a nearby bush.

Swoop out of one of the trees came a mockingbird. It dive-bombed the hapless squirrel and it fled in terror into the bush. The bird followed the squirrel, raspily scolding and flapping and pecking. I wondered what the "furry-tailed tree rat" had done to make it so angry until I got a few steps closer to the bush the squirrel had run for. There under the bush were two of the cutest, big-eyed mockingbird fledgelings I'd ever seen. They looked at me curiously and I looked back. They're so adorable at that age, with no tails. It's possible today was the first day they'd left the nest and Mama Mockingbird was taking no chances with those unreliable squirrels!

I didn't stay looking at them too long. I didn't want Mom angry at me, too!