Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, March 25, 2006
Wow!
On Thursday I was editing my Amazon.com wishlist and noticed that Peter Haining's book Lassie: The Extraordinary Story of Eric Knight And the World's Best-Known Collie, which Amazon said was going to be released on April 15, was suddenly listed as available and "only one copy left." So I ordered it, along with a book I've wanted since I saw it several years ago in the National Park Service bookstore near the Old State House, Boston: A Topographical History. I ordered the books using Amazon's "super-saver shipping," which is free because the orders are basically shipped after all the first class and express mail orders have gone through.

Yesterday I got word that my order had been shipped already.

This morning as we walked out the door to go to the bank, there was the box from Amazon sitting on the porch!

This jaw-dropping appearance was compounded by the arrival of the mail that early in the day. In the past ten years I never saw our old mail carrier arrive any earlier than 1:30 p.m.; his usual hour was more between 3:30 and 4:30, and many was the night I arrived home after an hour and a half commute to find the mailbox still empty and the mailman's truck ambling up sometime after 6 p.m. Come to think of it, I haven't seen an early-morning mail delivery since I lived in Rhode Island; Dick used to arrive between 9 a.m. and ten with prompt regularity.