Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, March 27, 2006
Bargains
We went to Kroger yesterday morning for the monthly coupon shopping before we left for the Home Show. We hadn't done a monthly shopping in a while because we'd both just gotten so darn sick of it, but we had coupons for things we needed to stock up on, like toothpaste, oatmeal, and shampoo. They also had drumsticks and a few other meats on discount, so we got those, and Kroger had crackers on sale, which we bought for Atomicon, so the bill originally came to $150.00. Then I handed the cashier my Kroger "plus card." She waved it over the "laser death ray" and we watched in amusement as the price clicked down 25 dollars. Then I handed her the coupons. The price kicked down another 25 dollars. Wheee. Sometimes the couponing is worth it.

Anyway, when we decided we were going to attend the Home Show, I surfed to their site and found a $1 off each admission coupon. (I could have gotten a $2 off coupon at a Chapter 11 bookstore, but it would have taken at least 2 dollars worth of gas to drive to one, so I abandoned the idea.) We debated taking MARTA downtown instead of driving, but the Georgia World Congress Center's website said their parking lots never charged over ten dollars.

So let's see. MARTA fare is $1.75 one way, so it would be $7.00 for both of us round trip. We'd have to drive a minimum of 15 minutes to any MARTA station (if we drive down to Hightower, it's more like 20-25), then wait 15 minutes for the train (since we always miss the one that's in the station when we arrive <g> ). It's a half hour ride downtown. It's then of course another hour back home.

We can drive downtown (I-75 to Northside Drive) in less than 20 minutes. The parking lot is eight dollars and there's a free shuttle directly to the door of the GWCC.

Since we have to drive about 20 minutes using either route, explain to me again why I should use public transportation...