Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, January 14, 2006
We Get Trivial...Again
More than a few years ago some friends of ours started going to trivia night at a place called Rockford's on the other side of town. At the time, Bandit was sick and I didn't want to leave him. Once he passed away we decided to make the trek cross town (it's 45 minutes out to Stone Mountain). Rockford's was a medium-sized restaurant-come-sports bar, but they had a good menu and the trivia games were fun.

Then the managers of Rockford's decided to move to a new location. They were closed for a month or two and reopened in a larger place further down Route 78. This happened about the same time my mom first got sick, but James went out one time when I was gone. Much later, we got to go play again, but I wasn't all that fond of the new place. To me it lacked the warmth of the earlier location and it was 15 minutes further out than the old place. By the time we got home on Saturday nights, we were quite tired.

Then we got the abrupt news that Rockford's had closed. We missed going out with our friends, but the long drive was not missed. A little later our friends started going to several different other places and finally settled on a little bar, the Moon Shadow Tavern on Lawrenceville Highway. We've been debating going again and finally decided to try tonight.

I can't say I really like the place. What food they have is good, but there aren't many menu choices. And it's too darn noisy; they play music so loudly that you either have to shout over it or lipread. I don't understand why they have to blare music at these places, or the chain places like O'Charley's and Chili's. When I go out to dinner with friends I want to talk to them, not be deafened.

But as always the company was good and made up for almost everything.

Moon Shadow is closer, but we left early to time our way out, so we had a half hour to kill when we finally arrived in the area. There was a used bookstore two doors down and we wandered around that for a while. It was rather overpriced, but James did find a book about the Berlin Airlift.

We also managed to get an e-mail back to one of our friends who usually attends trivia—he owns his own computer consulting business and said he had some spare old PCI video cards—and he brought us two from his collection. He figures that my computer is so old that newer PCI cards are just not compatible with it.

So James can make a stab at getting my computer fixed tomorrow if he likes.