Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, January 03, 2006
A Familiar Name
I taped the silent version of The Prisoner of Zenda last night on TCM. Ramon Novarro, who was later to gain fame in Ben-Hur, plays the villainous Rupert of Hentzau and Lewis Stone (twenty years later Andy Hardy's dad) is both the dissolute future king Rudolf and the Englishman Rudolf Rassendyll, related in the past by an indiscretion of an earlier king with a Rassendyll great-aunt.

I was amused to see the name of the person who did the screenplay: Mary O'Hara, who later wrote My Friend Flicka. In her autobiography, Flicka's Friend, O'Hara talks about being a writer of "photoplays" before moving to the Goose Bar Ranch that she would make famous in fiction.