Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, December 06, 2005
::cough::wheeze::
I have bronchitis (I impart this news in the same tone that Captain Renault says "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" in Casablanca) and am contagious while I'm still hacking the way I am. The doctor says I'm to rest for at least another two days. (That would be nice if I could actually sleep without coughing. He says I should take the cough syrup with codiene.) Since I seem to have had a reaction to the amoxicillin last time, I received a "mycin" instead.

What a wonderful St. Nicholas Day present. (What an even more delightful thing to happen five days before your fiftieth birthday.)

Since I'm effectively housebound, I've been dubbing off the last few things that seem to be lurking in the tape case: I did Sabrina (the original) yesterday (not knowing TCM was showing it in a couple of days; oh, well) as well as the one episode of the terrible Payne series that I kept (Amanda Naughton was a guest star, which was the only reason to keep this dog) and a Burke's Law (the new version) with Dean Stockwell. There's various other things, but I'm too fuzzy to remember them now.

Now I'm continuing on what's left of Game Show Network's old "Sunday night in black and white" feature, which I started last night: What's My Line? mostly, I think, plus I've Got a Secret and a To Tell the Truth or two.

I got home in time (I was only at Kaiser for 45 minutes, which included a pharmacy stop, which astonished me) to record Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, a slice-of-life World War II era story taking place in a small farm town populated mostly with those of Norwegian descent. It is the tale of a year (actually, nine months) in the life of seven-year-old Selma Jacobson, played by Margaret O'Brien, and her partner in crime, cousin Arnold Hansen played by Butch Jenkins. It's a very sweet movie, but I'm sure James is glad he missed it. :-)