Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, December 19, 2005
Color of Hope
Do Brighter Walls Make Brighter Students?

I dunno if I'd like to go to a school with lime green and bright turquoise walls, but I can see where this is coming from. Certainly painting the walls won't make the kids do their homework if they don't want to, but I'm sure a cheerful, cleaner looking school might make them feel more like learning!

I am constantly surprised today at how new schools look like prisons: narrow little windows way up on the walls, the kids constantly bombarded with artificial light. I went to an elementary school where one wall of each classroom was almost all windows, and 1929-and-earlier junior high and high school buildings also with a lot of windows. The incandescent lighting in many classrooms was a supplement only. While the walls weren't flourescent colors, they were light and interesting. I would assume the schools being painted here may be of that era, but not well kept up. I can't imagine being boxed up in one of these modern schools with the institutional paint jobs.