Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Well, That's Good...
It was quiet last night.

I mean, I thank God there wasn't a mass orgy of window breaking and pumpkin smashing. When I was a kid we had our windows soaped or scrawled with wax and our trash can tossed around. Here we had our door egged at least once and there have been some smashed pumpkins at other homes.

But we usually have a parade of larger kids come through the neighborhood after seven o'clock and nary a sign was to be seen. Usually some joker manages to shoot off firecrackers, and you hear laughter and hollering for a while and Willow bristles up and barks at it. Heck, after I got home nobody even had a loud radio on.

James commented that the street was dark, even with everyone's porch light on, and he was right. When all those lights go out, it's like deep black velvet out there.

Maybe everyone just found a Hallowe'en party to go to and was happy instead of being destructive. That would be a definite plus.

I was thinking last night as I sat by the door that this Daylight Savings time extension starting in 2007 is going to play hob with trick or treating. In New England and everything around that latitude, even on DST at six p.m. it will be dark. But here in Georgia and especially further south it will still be light at that time. I know the parents of small children like to take them out early. Will they wander about at the same time, in the light? Will parents take them out later?