Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, November 10, 2005
Out of Time
The hot spell has finally broken. When we went to bed last night, it was breathless and still 68°F. James turned the ceiling fan up. It was still warm when I used the bathroom at 3:30 a.m. Sometime after that, the dog began to bark for no reason. It's very possible there was thunder we didn't hear, because suddenly it turned cold. I had resettled myself under a folded blanket to keep warm and was pleasantly dozing and waiting for the alarm when James said "Aren't you going to work today?"

Eeeeek—it was 6:55! We had a power failure yesterday and, while I reset all the clocks including the clock radio, I forgot I needed to reset the alarms, too. So I did so, but when it got to 7:00 (when James gets up), the alarm didn't go off. I figured it just didn't "tick off" or something and scrambled instead to get dressed and dash to work.

When I got to a particularly long red light, I called James to make sure he'd gotten up. He said, "I think we need a new clock. I reset the alarm to 7:15 and it still didn't go off, and when I turned the radio on it sounded like an electric motor was grinding away inside it." He tried tuning the radio to no avail.

A few weeks ago I made a trip to Linens'n'Things and wrote this in our house blog:
"They had several things there I fell in love with, but it's frou-frou and will have to wait. One is a reproduction phonograph that looks like it's from the 40s on the outside, and does play 78 records (also has a radio, tape player, and CD player). I do want to play Mom's 78s some day. (On the inside the turntable is modern plastic, so it doesn't really look completely retro.) They also have a reproduction 30s radio (the one that looks like the Waltons had), a reproduction old phone (one that looks like the farm telephone on Lassie), and, oddly enough my favorite, a reproduction 50s radio with the streamlined styling that's also a dual alarm clock and a CD player."
Hmmn. Sounds like we'll be needing the latter sooner than we thought. Well, we have a number of 20 percent off coupons and a good dual alarm clock radio will costs us about $40 (with the coupon) no matter where we go.

So we'll check into it and see if it's what we need. Here's the unit. Cool, huh?