Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Nothing in the Dark
The only way to "beat" traffic around here is to get up very early for work. I don't think it would bother me so much if it wasn't pitch dark when I got up and, most of the time, when I drove to work. I still feel like I should be curled up under my blankets blissfully asleep instead of trudging out with the crickets still chirping and the streetlights on. It's dark even in the summer because of #$!#$#%! daylight saving time, and those stupid idiots in Congress and Bush sighed that extension crap starting in 2007 so we'll have more pitch darkness soon.

You get spoiled growing up at a higher latitude. Even in the highest part of winter it's at least sunrise when you get up at 6 a.m. In summer, even with daylight savings time in effect, it's full daylight by the time that hour rolls around.

It was a miserable morning anyway. James has a bad cold and is finally going to stay home today, but he was moving around restlessly, and I was in the middle of a dream when the alarm rang. I had packed and traveled and had just arrived, and was just going to open the door and greet my mother when I got woken up. I was crying in the bathroom; I wish I'd gotten to open that door!

Plus I took I-285 because they were just clearing an accident on I-85 North and traffic was backed up, but got held up anyway because someone had stalled out in the middle lane just before GA400. What with this and it taking five minutes just to get on Powder Springs Road—will the last persons out of Powder Springs and Austell please turn out the lights?—I was very late to work.

If there's anything positive, it's that I had to put the heat on last night and the new furnace works flawlessly. It started out slowly, I think because of the variable-speed motor, but the rooms were soon warm. We had changed the filter on Sunday, too, and I noted with interest that with the new furnace that nasty, metallic and dusty smell that used to fill the house for the first ten or fifteen minutes the first time you put the heat on for the season is no longer there.