Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Mealy-Mouthed
I had coupons for the new Quaker Weight Control instant oatmeal, so I got a couple of boxes of the cinnamon flavor (I think the other is banana).

James and I were looking curiously at the label because while this is labeled "weight control" but it's actually 40 more calories than the lower sugar maple and brown sugar flavor I usually eat and has 5 calories more from fat and 4 grams more of carbs. However, you get a bit of a larger serving (consequently there are only eight packets in the box rather than ten), and there are 3 grams more dietary fiber and 3 grams more soluble fiber and 3 grams less sugar. It also has potassium in it.

My usual way of making instant at home has to put water in the bowl and mix it up, then "fire up" the microwave for one minute. The mixture comes out creamy this way. What I've been doing lately and also at work, because I have to, is boiling the water in the Hot Shot and then pouring it on the oatmeal. Fixed this way, the oat flakes stay intact and it has more of a toothier, nutty texture.

At least the lower sugar version does. The weight control version...eh. Yesterday I put too little water in it and it turned to paste. This morning I was careful to make it a little soupy so after it had rested it would be a better texture. Well, it wasn't paste, but it's still sticky and gluey where the lower sugar, fixed the same way, is not. There's also, no matter how much I stir it up, sort of a dry grainy taste to it as if the mixture had flour dust on it.

Needless to say I'll eat 'em because I have 'em, but I think this is the last time.