Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, September 16, 2005
"That Place Just Over the Brooklyn Bridge..."
I'm into second season dubbing of BB right now. I wish this show had stayed on longer. I would have loved to watch Alan and Natey grow up and see if "love lasted" with Katie or not. Probably not, but it's fun to speculate. I also love George and Phyllis' relationship. Wonder what Peter Friedman is doing these days? I saw him last on one of the Law & Orders a couple of years ago.

I would have done more yesterday, but I spent about an hour fast forwarding through them to see what time of year the episode took place. Most television series set everything in some indeterminate spring or summer setting so they don't have to bother with coats (except on Christmas Eve, as Mad magazine so pointedly commented years ago, "when it snows everywhere"). Gary David Goldberg crafted the series so it had a chronological order (it was broadcast in this order except for one episode) and there were clues in all the episodes in first season that told you when they took place, even if it was something as small as a pumpkin in a window or someone's Christmas lights in the background. The second season had these, too, but the pointers were even more subtle, and CBS broadcast them with an early fall ep, a late fall ep next, a winter one, back to fall, etc. The very last episode broadcast was in the spring and it was the episode about Sputnik (taking place the first week of October). So I scanned and checked; it looked like when Bravo broadcast them they actually did make an attempt to put them in chronological order and only a few are actually out of sequence.

I wouldn't do this for many series (I didn't even try it with my Lassie episodes; just put the dates on them instead), but Brooklyn Bridge is worth it.
A world of its own,
The streets where we played,
The friends on every corner were the best we ever made.
The backyards, and the school yards
And the trees that watched us grow,
The days of love when dinner time was all you had to know.
Whenever I think of yesterday,
I close my eyes and see,
That place just over the Brooklyn Bridge
That will always be home to me.
It'll always be home to me
.