Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, September 26, 2005
So, I Took the Plunge...
Since we're going to be spending money near the end of the year I ordered Alistair Cooke's America from Amazon.uk now. I have loved this series from its first broadcast in 1972 and would jump through hoops for it.

I love to watch the price reduction when you hit the checkout at Amazon.uk. Whatever the price is on the item, it's not what you actually pay. I think it's because as a non-Briton I don't have to pay the VAT. America was actually four pounds less than stated on its page, and The Best of Dave Allen about a pound less. (I also ordered an aviation film, Reaching for the Sky with Kenneth More, for James.) Dave Allen was a must-have. I used to adore his show, which WSBK-38 showed latenight. His memories are tangled up with the "old" 38, Ask the Manager, Movie Loft, Dana Hersey and Joe Dimino and Dan Berkery and Cliff Allen. Anything that takes me back there is welcome.

Ironically it looks like my Amazon.uk order will get delivered before my regular Amazon order. I can't remember which item is actually the delayed one: it's my annual Christmas and Thanksgiving Ideals order, plus Earl Hamner's bio, Eleanor and Franklin (I hope, hope, hope they release the sequel, The White House Years since my copy was recorded off WSBK before we had a booster on our antenna and it's exceedingly snowy—I see Jane Alexander is still winning Emmy awards for playing Roosevelts!), and Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons, which I've heard about for years and I finally want to see what all the chatter is about.