Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, September 12, 2005
Monday Madness

1. I'm at my best in the early morning.

False. Sorry, unlike my cousin Donna [waves}, I am not a morning person and have been like this ever since I was a kid. My mom discovered the easiest way to assure I got enough sleep was to put me outside the kitchen window in the baby carriage with a sunscreen over me. Full daylight and fresh air just make me sleepy. I get my best sleep between six and eight a.m. For years my very favorite line from the television series M*A*S*H has been “No wonder they shoot people at sunrise. Who wants to live at six in the morning?”

2. I start each day with a healthy breakfast.

True…sorta. I usually have skim milk and oatmeal, that’s a start. I think you’re supposed to have a fruit, too, but going to work I don’t want to have to get up any earlier to fix myself an apple, too (although I don’t mind them brown; I could fix it the night before if I wanted). I’d rather have more sleep than extra breakfast. At work after I have my oatmeal I usually end up eating my Chex snack mix. I need the salt to help me wake up. (I’ve always heard about people with sugar highs. I’ve never had one of those in my life. Eating too much sugar just makes me sick to my stomach; it doesn’t give me any energy.)

3. I'm always sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night.

False. I don’t think I’m even getting that much on weekends anymore. I’ve always been a very restless sleeper, but a few years after we moved into the house I started having trouble sleeping in earnest. I remember those halcyon days back in the apartment when we’d go to bed at two a.m. and not get up until eleven or noon. And now I have hot flashes that wake me up more.

4. I enjoy my job.

False. I liked doing support work. I don’t like doing purchase orders. But they told me to do it, so I do it. It pays the bills and buys the books.

5. I get along with most everyone.

True. But I’m not much of a social butterfly, either. I like to have good times with my friends, but I don’t like to drink or go clubbing.

6. I'm looking forward to the new season of tv shows this year.

True, if just to see more episodes of House. James bought me the first season DVD on Saturday. We were at the Media Play at Stone Mountain, which is closing this Friday. I remember that was the first one that opened and we would make special trips out to the east side of town to go there. Of course when it opened it was simply crammed with books. You had to get on a stepladder to reach the top shelf of books, and they had titles no one else had. Now they have nearly no books at all. :-(

7. I make sure I take some time for myself every day.

True. That’s when I’m dubbing off videotapes or updating my web pages. I'm doing Brooklyn Bridge right now. That was a great series.