Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, September 02, 2005
DragonCon, Day 1
Got one of my "leftover" orders done today, but besides that not a lot happened. There were some folks processing emergency purchases for hurricane relief, but otherwise it was very quiet. I got a letter written and supporting documents and a check for new death certificates.

James had forgotten he still had the day scheduled off, so he had the truck's oil changed and did some other chores. We had toyed with running downtown when he got off work, hoping to make the Atlanta Radio Theatre performance, but since I got off early because I worked late on Wednesday, we were able to head there about 3:30 instead. The registration line was very short and we spent most of the rest of the time wandering the dealer's room and the exhibit hall. It was very crowded and we didn't see a lot, but one dealer has a nice collection of Pocket Dragons with him and another has a wonderful collection of stuffed animals (they have things like fruit bats, badgers, llamas, and winged hamsters, but my favorite was a fox).

As in all these shows lately, there is a good deal of dealing in bootleg DVDs. If the folks who produced the DVDs could make a circuit of these dealers' rooms, they could see what people really want and will buy. They had Tales of the Gold Monkey and Voyagers, and complete sets of Get Smart and The Wild Wild West, and many science fiction series. My attention was arrested by a 4-DVD set of T.H.E. Cat, starring the supremely sexy Robert Loggia, a half-hour adventure series from the late 1960s. Needless to say, it's very tempting but unaffordable.

Also wandered longingly around the McFarland table: McFarland is a small press outfit that sells specialty books, mostly about the media, but also about books and other interests; they're the folks I got my St. Nicholas book from last year. I also have their Doctor Who and Blake's 7 critical history books and their Christmas encyclopedia. They have a two volume history of American animated programs that simply makes me drool.

I was disappointed that the fanzine seller "Agent With Style" was not there. I had seen DragonCon on their convention schedule a few months back. I guess they decided against it.

Finally we found a quiet corner of the Marriott convention floor near the ARTC table and ate our supper (we bring it with us) and then went into the performance room to wait for opening ceremonies and the ARTC performance of A.E. Van Vogt's "The Weapons Store." Van Vogt's widow was there to help introduce the production. I had never read any of Van Vogt's material and was quite absorbed in the story. Actor Richard Hatch played one of the supporting roles. They also did a funny skit about what happens to people who blurt out spoilers to movies in front of the crowd waiting to go in.

We usually linger after the performance, but I was up at six and James up at seven, so we decided discretion "was the better part of valor" and came home.