Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, August 12, 2005
And Boy, Did I Need the Snoopy Dance
My cousin Debbie came by with her kids and nieces and nephews in tow and took all the things we had collected to Big Sisters. It was done in a trice. I hope Mom's things give many people a new start. I think she would have liked that.

Once Debbie and her efficient whirlwinds were gone, James and I had lunch (more soup and salad at T's; I'm downright addicted to them) and then went to the post awful again.

There was nothing in the mail today. I was so hoping to be able to sell the car, cancel the cell phone and the car insurance, cash in the insurance policy, and get into the safe deposit box before I left, but without those death certificates I am helpless. (It's possible I can get into the safe deposit box, but as I remember, don't you have to sign something to get access to the box? I've never had a SDB, but every time someone goes to one on television or the movies, you have to sign a sheet in and out.) I can't believe it took Cobb County or the State of Georgia so long to issue a death certificate! The gentleman at Nardolillo's Funeral Home was told last Friday that they were "on their way"—did they go by slow boat via China?

Not only that, but the folks at the post office are starting to get twitchy about my being able to hold the mail and then have it transferred back to our address when we leave. The clerk said we needed to talk to the supervisor and that we needed a power of attorney, which I don't have. But if I don't get the mail, someone will have to go to the trouble of collecting it, and I won't know how much the bills are unless that someone calls me every time one comes in. That's how I've been paying all the bills associated with Mom's accounts, by having the mail come to us and paying it out of her account with online banking. We did get that much transferred before she was too out of it to sign things.

That and the heat has just "made" my day. Summer is such a torment I wish I could sleep through it. Its chief "delights" for me include breathing problems, a constant rash, scalding sweat trickling down my spine, headaches from the sun, lightheadedness, insomnia...this I'm supposed to enjoy? Sorry, no masochistic tendencies here. When I saw the news report the other day about the first snow that had fallen in Australia in fifty-one years, I said to James, "That's it. Pack up, we're going Down Under."