Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, July 06, 2005
When It Rains...
It really rains. It rained yesterday. It's raining today and tomorrow the forecast says "strong storms." In fact, it's supposed to rain nine out of the ten days coming up. I hope Steve shows up on that one day; the lawn is growing like a weed. (Who am I fooling? Our lawn is weeds.)

So far Mom has spent the day sleeping. The rain only aggravates her arthritis anyway, and the eye is paining her as well. She's had all her medication, so far, but I need to change her pain patch at some point. Meantime I have cleaned the bathroom, swept and tidied the kitchen, and am trying to finish more DVDs. So far:

HBO Comedy Hour: Live from London from 1988, with Rowan Atkinson, French and Saunders, and Ben Elton. Hosted by Howie Mandel, who I loved on St. Elsewhere, but on stage, a little of him goes a long way. This finished off a "British comedy" DVD along with Solo.

Moonlighting: "Atomic Shakespeare"—Moonlighting was another of those series everyone was crazy about and I could take or leave. I did see some episodes I did like, including the "film noir" black and white story, but this was the one I kept: Moonlighting meets Shakespeare as David and Maddie play Petruchio and Katherine in "The Taming of the Shrew." This one finished up another DVD.

National Geographic Special: "Treasures of the Past." Great special about the restoration work: a biplane, the Tall Ship Elissa, Duesenbergs, Philadelphia Toboggan Carousel  #6 in eastern Colorado, and the Catherine Palace in Russia. Narrated by Richard Kiley (they spared no expense). (Sorry, Jurassic Park joke.)

On right now: National Geographic Special: "The Explorers—a Century of Discovery." Peary in the Arctic, Admiral Byrd, Africa, mountain climbing...a cornucopia of old film. Just grand.

5:40 p.m. Update: Tornado watches. Mom is up watching the news. I'm making rice for soup. I'm dubbing off A Ring of Endless Light (yeah, I know parts of it drove me crazy, but it's some L'Engle, at least).