Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, July 29, 2005
So Tired...
Had an hour nap and am still exhausted. We had to be at the funeral home by four and we had forgotten to pick up James' suit jacket. So we left five minutes early to get the jacket and then sat at the home for an hour waiting for things to start.

I was very pleased with the job the funeral home had done. Mom's right eye, which is facing the "rear," is natural-looking from that angle: they actually removed the blackened tumor and the eye is no longer swollen and even has eyelashes again. I have no idea how they did it. There are some wrinkles around the cheeks and you can see how painfully thin she was, but those are tiny quibbles compared to how awful her eye looked. I used to catch her looking in the mirror when I helped her in the bathroom and I know she was sad.

It was pleasant seeing both sides of the family again, but sad knowing how many of the older relatives couldn't come. It was also revalatory seeing cousins I'd last seen as toddlers or infants in arms! Some of our neighbors came as well, including Cindy's parents, the Gustafsons, whose other daughter Diane (younger than me) is undergoing chemotherapy again—she has had cancer for serveral years now. And my best friend Sherrye and her husband attended, but Sherrye's mom wasn't well enough to come. :-(

So we finally came home at nine and finished tidying the house for tomorrow. My eyes are sooooo heavy. We should get to bed soon as we are being picked up at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow. I hate to lock up. It didn't get violently hot today, but the house does hold heat and get warm at night, and there's a nice breeze from the fans now.