Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, July 21, 2005
The News We Weren't Waiting For
The nurse says Mom is failing fast. She could pass away at any time, but it is expected that she will not last through the weekend. I'm upset, but not as upset as I could be. After eight weeks of caring for her, I have seen how much she has suffered. All I want is for her to be at peace. She'll be with my dad again, and my godfather, and her sister and brothers and parents. I know it will be a happy reunion. (I like to imagine that Frisky, the budgie she loved best, and all her dogs—all named Brownie—will be there to meet her, but that's the way I am. To me it wouldn't be heaven without my animals.)

At this point, we are planning to drive up. Before you say I am absolutely crazy, let me tell you that I already discussed this with the gentleman from Nardolillo's Funeral Home (who will contact a funeral home here to deal with things) and that our timeframe is open. Mom's remains can be shipped and stored until we get home. Driving will be cheaper than flying. We can take the animals with us, although I know they would be perfectly safe either at camp or with our friends to care for them at the house. But the most important reason will be for us to both decompress after watching Mom decline, and on the return trip we can take some time to comfort ourselves and our souls. We can possibly stop to visit friends, or perhaps stay overnight with them.

The trip is not set in stone. The gentleman from Nardolillo's says arrangements can be made if we want to fly. We may decide to. But right now as miserable as I am and as cooped up as I have been, I feel it would be good to be on the road with the man I love most in the world and our "fids."

Preparing for the trip has given me something to do between looking in on Mom. I'm washing clothes and have the suitcases out to air. If we do drive I already have Willow's things packed and can clean out Pidgie's carry box next. I have called the guy at the car care place near us and he is going to call me tomorrow to see if we are still planning to go through with the trip. If so, he is going to get a ride over, pick up "Twilight," change the oil and get the car tripworthy, and bring it back. I will not have to drive there at all.