Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, July 23, 2005
Greetings from Virginia
We're in Harrisonburg, VA, at the same Motel 6 we stopped at last fall. Different room, though, still at the back of the motel; these must be the pet-friendly ones.

I still feel disconnected, and vaguely guilty that I am here traveling. And every time I see something interesting, I think "I need to tell Mom..." Damn.

We left late (9:30 a.m.) and I still only managed to get five and a half hours sleep. James said it was too quiet. First time in weeks without the baby monitor on.

It didn't take too long to load because we put about half the stuff in the car last night. "Twi" is chock full because we have an extra suitcase full of dress clothing.

It's been the usual trip: Willow threw up the first hour, Pidgie is as always unflappable and singing. We decided to take a chance on cooler temps and did the Highway 321 North at Gastonia (SC) to I-40 to I-77 to I-81 again. No such luck about the temps; too damn hot. Like last time, we picked up Wendy's for lunch in South Carolina and then ate it at the North Carolina Welcome Center rest stop at the picnic tables at the pet walk. Doing scans through the radio dial made me long for satellite radio. Finally gave up and listened to two Our Miss Brooks episodes and a Kraft Music Hall (Bing Crosby with special guest "that rising young comedian Phil Silvers").

We stopped a little after eight and had supper at Bob Evans (figures; they only have the pumpkin bread in the winter—they are on top of a hill and we saw from that summit an absolutely gorgeously spectacular scarlet sunset) and stopped at Barnes & Noble for some magazines and dessert: a double fudge chocolate cupcake that we split. Nothing much on TV, even with cable.

We're pooped.