Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, June 03, 2005
Friday Five

* What things did you enjoy as a child that you no longer do?

Go downtown and go in all the nice old department stores (the Outlet and Shepard's) and the five-and-tens (Woolworth's and Newberry's and Grant's) and the paperback bookstore on Weybosset Street and the Read-All. Everything's gone. There's just another stupid mall with the same old stupid stores as everywhere else and those creeps at Johnson & Wales turned the Outlet into a stupid lawn. Going to Massachusetts sometimes to see my aunts and uncles. Going to Papa's house on Saturday mornings. Watching good stuff like Fury and Lassie and Wild Kingdom (with Marlin Perkins) and The Littlest Hobo on TV. Going for a ride on Sunday afternoons, down to the beach or to Diamond Hill or out to Highland Orchards. Drink Eclipse or Zarex lemon-lime syrup in water when it got hot. Ride my bike. Go out and sniff the lilacs when they bloomed even if they did give me an allergy attack.

* What things did you enjoy as a child that you still do today?

Have Del's Lemonade and doughboys when I am visiting at home. Go on vacation.

* What things do you do now, that the child you were never thought you'd like?

Play on a computer. (But then when I was a kid computers were something you had to have an A+ in math to work with.)

* If you could go back to one age and stay there for a while, what would it be?

Like Lucinda Wyman, I'd love to be ten forever (well, except for fractions; I hated fractions).

* If you could fast forward to an age (you do get to come back!) for a while, what would it be?

Fast forward? Hell, I'm creaky and old enough now. Maybe after retirement when I won't ever have to see a stupid purchase order ever again.