Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Things Taken Care Of
They're done; took them eight hours. (Well, actually it took Curtis eight hours. Barry left after installing the compressor and doing some other things to help out; he was here about seven hours.) The new compressor is half the size—wow. I was shown how to use the electrostatic filter and shown how to run bleach through the outtake hose (to keep grotty stuff from building up in it).

Anyway, the fool thing is costing $$$$$, but it is covered for the next ten years (the unit itself, labor, and parts). The furnace portion is covered for 20 years. And it is nice and cool in here, but it's not a fair test since it's not really hot outside. We'll see what happens when it gets up into the 80s and (gulp!) 90s.

They cleaned up after themselves, but of course I had to vacuum where my dirty shoes touched the carpet. Also washed the parquet in front of the door and the floor of the furnace closet while it was bare. My back is screaming, but it's cleaner.

Took care of a bunch of little things while they were working (feel free to skip this paragraph!): started a folder for 2005 deductions, got rid of all the old house insurance policies and put the new one in their place, got rid of all the maintenance receipts on the old HVAC unit, put up the papers for the HVAC unit in a clearly labeled envelope, cleared out around my computer desk a little including throwing some unneeded receipts away and picking up some CD-ROMs that had fallen down, shifted around some videotapes and documentary DVDs, made labels for some DVDs I had made, wrapped a gift for a friend who's just retired, swept the kitchen, made the bed—oh, and finally took down the Easter tree, which was long overdue since it's already past Pentecost.

Curtis had no sooner left and I was sweeping outside the door than Steve showed up to do the lawn. He is hoping to be able to clean out our back yard after Memorial Day sometime. Goody.

Plus I made an appointment for the car to have its oil changed and called the credit card company to nag them to send my Borders rewards coupons again. The February billing was lost in the mail along with other important things like our 1099  form for taxes and I didn't get $10 worth of credit. If the credit card company thinks I'm going to forget book coupons, they have another thing coming.

Most importantly, I got a call from a nurse from the hospice service in Rhode Island. My cousin Debbie, bless her, contacted them to see if they could get my mother more help. They're going to be sending someone around to talk to her, see if they can talk her into getting Meals on Wheels, maybe get someone to do the laundry since the stairs are so steep, etc. I want her to be able to stay on her own as long as she can. She has always been fiercely independent and really doesn't want to leave the house she and my dad so loved.