Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, May 21, 2005
Luckily It's Cool Tonight...
The air conditioner, after performing pretty flawlessly for 28 hours, conked out again about 9 p.m. tonight. I was near the den vent when I thought I heard it hissing. Sure enough, instead of popping the breaker this time, the fan wasn't spinning. The compressor just hums. It's done this before; you can tell the moment you get near the vents—they hiss. We think the compressor unit was making some kind of weird noise as well, because Willow was up in the kitchen barking at something.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter much: we bit the bullet and bought a new system this morning. It's a 2-ton Trane with a SEER rating of eleven. The furnace unit will have a variable speed motor that is supposed to equalize the temperature between upstairs and downstairs. Oh, and it has a .01 micron filtration system to help cut down on the dust. They say they may be able to install it as early as Wednesday, although they're going to look into getting it for Tuesday when James will be off from work.

I hope it makes the electric bill a little lower like they claim!