Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, May 03, 2005
Like Ol' Man River...
...this just keeps rolling along.

I had James make me a lunch last night, but when the alarm woke me up at six, after not falling asleep until after 12:30 and waking up religiously about once every hour, I didn't feel capable of hitting the interstate at 75 freakin' m.p.h. and keeping myself and anyone else I'd hit alive. (The Federal Government continues to press for telework, but CDC seems to be an entity unto itself. There are many days I have not gone in because I don't feel capable of driving but could have actually sit here to make phone calls and send e-mails.) So I called in sick—I really do need a day to let the amoxicillin work without being stressed out over traffic and the fluorescent lights—and went back to bed.

And, except for waking briefly when the alarm went off at 9:15 and James went downstairs, slept almost solidly from 6:30 to 11:30. Will you tell me why I can't sleep like this during the night??? I know I'm a night person, but this drives me nuts.

I really wanted to stay home for another reason: I was afraid yesterday afternoon that I had had some type of reaction to the amoxicillin. I have never had any problem taking any type of drug until I got ahold of something called "Bactrim" about eight years back. It gave me hideous muscle cramps. But I'd never had the hives/itching/impared breathing on anything.

Yesterday about a half hour after I took the first antibiotic I noticed my right arm was itching; there on my shoulder was a welt (just one; I didn't break out in hives like I did last year after my surgery when I guess my pain medication interacted with my supper). I also felt odd for about five minutes; I can't explain what happened besides my nose and my cheeks felt cold. Of course I became upset immediately; I know what happens to my friend Juanita when she has allergic reactions. First thing I did was rush into the bathroom and make sure I could still swallow water. I could, and the feeling passed.

Last night when I took the amoxicillin again I seemed to do fine. I've had another now and am okay. It's actually hard to tell whether I am "itching" or not because, due to my allergy, I'm almost always itching one place or the other, and I still have acne despite nearly being fifty, so pimples pop up regularly. (Plus the doctor took me off Claritin until I'm feeling better and gave me Nasorel instead. Gawd, this stuff smells and tastes awful. Anyway, I don't think it's covering the allergy as well.)

The welt could have been a mosquito bite: there's a creek a house distance across the street from us and we've had mosquitoes off and on since the beginning of April.