Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, May 17, 2005
DVD Transfer Diary
Well, I have all of the available America eps done except the last one, which I hope to do tonight (barring disasters and ant invasions). I got "Money on the Land," "The Huddled Masses" (with its great sidebar on burlesque), "The Promise Fulfilled and the Promise Broken," "The Arsenal," and "The First Impact" (my favorite; Cooke talking about his favorite first impressions about the U.S., including a fascinating look at the Mayo Clinic) done last night.

The last episode is only interesting inasmuch as it covers the Civil Rights movement; the rest of it is about the late 60s and hippies and all that—blah. I would have preferred a much different episode, one that intercut Civil Rights in with the other changes in society in the late 50s, especially the rise of the teenager as a consumer icon. Oh, well. It was Alistair Cooke's personal history and not mine.

Thinking about what to tackle next: possibly Me and the Colonel, so I can finish the disk I started with On the Double. That leaves 39 minutes on the disk and I'm wondering if either of the two Danny Kaye documentaries I have will fit. I have something AMC did and also, I'm pretty sure, an American Masters.

I also need to finish the disk "Mystery of Edward Sims" is on now that I finally got it to record. I don't have anything that's really 30 minutes and Disney. Maybe I'll put on the Danger Bay episode "One Black Dog," which was at least broadcast on Disney. Trying to keep these things together thematically is turning into an interesting puzzle!