Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, May 19, 2005
Cubicle, Sweet Cubicle
Well, I guess I'm all moved in. I have one filing cabinet more than I need and I wish they'd move it out, but it's off in a corner at least. I'd rather have a chair there, so when vendors come by I can offer them a seat rather than dragging them into an empty conference room. This is an empty space 9 feet square between the two file rooms. I'm a minute's walk between either of the printers, and more like a two-three minute walk to a fax machine, so this will be good for exercise, anyway!

As I sit in it, facing the corridor, the left side of the cubie is silver-grey office furniture with overhead bins, where I keep reference material and also my breakfast stuff. The doors to the bins are metallic, so I have magnets holding up some old Linda Nelson Stocks calendar pictures up (they're seasonal and at the moment summer is up) and various favorite things, like the interview the Marietta Journal did of me about my WENN webpage and a Pittsburgh Gazette interview of Rupert Holmes. Some memorabilia, too: a pretty colorful birthday card given to me by a supervisor before she retired, the little card from Diane Johnson's funeral (this coming Sunday will be 10 years that Diane passed away), and a little pic of a co-worker's little girl when she was a baby.

In front of me (thankfully), is a partition to keep some of the hall noise out. It doesn't go all the way across (or I wouldn't be able to get in <g>) and it has a low wall on the side that finishes the L shape of the desk assembly rather than a tall one (I can take care of that with some foam board from Michael's). The little corner that is closest to this "door" is my chill-out corner: I have a little vase of seasonal flowers, a photo of James, and a cross-stitch of seasonal flowers surrounding the Bible verse "To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heavens..." On the facing partition wall I have my New England calendar I got on vacation, another calendar photo of a harbor at sunset, a calligraphy piece that I got long ago at the Ren Faire which says "This is not Fantasy Island; please keep your requests to within a reasonable limit," and my "keep cool" picture, a photo from one of my old Boston calendars of a row of snow-blanketed brick row houses bordering on the Boston Common.

To the right of me are a four-drawer black metal file cabinet and a five-drawer grey one. I have all my training books and file folders in the black one. On top I have seasonal artificial flowers (right now it's a purple and a red-violet hydrangea filled in with some babies' breath in a purple vase; I much prefer the other season decorations: in the fall branches of brilliant autumn leaves, at Christmastime poinsettias, for the winter snow-flocked holly. This is seated on a little dishcloth my mother embroidered when she was a girl and I also have some of the little stuffed Babe figures a co-worker gave me, my nameplate, and my ten-year pin.

Since I have an actual wall to the back and side of me now rather than more cloth cubicle dividers, I have my pictures hung up on brads rather than on cubicle hangers: my "nostalgic" photo collage (it has pics of my mom back when she could still visit, Leia, Bandit, Merlin, and a group shot with Diane in it), my ten-year certification, and my 1993 CDC and ATSDR Honor Award "for outstanding contributions through the innovative and creative use of available techology to solve administrative problems and reduce backlogs" (back in the days when I actually did get the chance to do "innovative and creative" things like create forms and databases...sigh) along with my photo taken with the award with Dr. Roper, then the director of CDC.

I am finally facing forward toward anyone who will be speaking to me for the first time in seventeen years. This is a big thing because I've always hated not facing people. In most of my time here I've been in a service capacity and it always seemed so darn rude to have them come in my cubicle and be greeted by my back!