Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, April 18, 2005
Yesterday
I hadn't mentioned what we did yesterday: drove out to Wright's Dairy Farm (off Route 146A in North Smithfield) to buy some goodies for my godmother and for Anna. This is a working dairy farm which not only sells its own milk, but baked goods from cakes to pastries to hermits, which are an old-fashioned soft spice cookie with nuts and raisins. Mother got herself a big cream puff filled with the lightest whipped cream and I had one filled with chocolate cream. It was decadent, but I didn't eat much else of anything yesterday—cooked foods have been making me sick to my stomach all week.

It was a nice, sunny day—got to 73°F with a nice breeze out of the north. We went up through I-95, where we could see the construction on the new bridge for I-195 heading out to Seekonk and thus to the Cape. They're trying to fix it so that the freeway doesn't cut off the Providence waterfront from the rest of the city. It almost looks as if the new route will take you over or in front of the Fox Point Hurricane Barrier. I don't know if the old Washington Bridge is still incorporated into the route. I drove that way 3 1/2 years (and one summer) to work (and go out to Taunton and the Readmore bookstore that way), so it's always a nostalgic trip.

We came home through I-295, which I used to zip up and down a lot while I was in college. It was my preferred route up to Lincoln Mall and the wonderful little restaurant The Roast House, which had something called "The Turkey Sandwich Special," turkey (even dark meat) cut right off the bird in a kaiser roll dipped in turkey gravy, turkey soup, and a drink (in my case, a nice big coffee milk). I remember I had to haul all the way up there to see The Nude Bomb, which truly lived up to half its name, but it had Don Adams in it and made up for a lot.

On the way home, since it was warm we stopped for Del's frozen lemonade, and we spent the rest of the time waiting for airport departure time watching the DVDs I had brought of Make Room for Daddy. Where I've never cracked a smile at Friends or Seinfeld, Danny Thomas and Co. can still make me laugh aloud.