Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Tuesday Twosome

1. Mail-in rebates: A pain to deal with or worth the wait to get money back?

Oh, worth the wait especially if it's enough money. Which reminds me that I received my rebate on the DVD recorder and the telephones, but not on the printer, and it's been about 12 weeks now. Instead of copying the receipts we scan them and then they can be printed out.

2. Warranties: Take a chance without them or a must have when buying high-priced items?

Most of the time the warranty is a waste of money. I got a warranty on the Dirt Devil I bought because I burned out the first one after a month (the stupid carpet in the den is so cheap it has strings on it, which wind around the beater bar and burn the motor out) and then Service Merchandise went out of business.

I did get a warranty on the television because it was the floor model (and still haven't called them to come look at it; the tuner doesn't work properly).

3. Product knowledge: Research before you buy or rely on salesperson?

Research. Reading reviews like crazy.

4. Word of mouth: Base purchases on what your friends say or disregard because you know what you are doing?

Oh, I always take recommendations from friends, especially if they know what they're talking about!

5. New Versions: Must buy the latest version right away or wait for a while?

I usually stick with the old versions if they work. I upgraded to WordPerfect 7 only because I liked the visible margins (and I got a copy of v.9 because I liked the publish to PDF feature, but I use v.7 most of the time). Most of the new versions add pretty icons and dopey junk like that.