Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, April 25, 2005
Monday Madness

1. What season are you in right now?

Spring, dammit. The trees are tossing pollen into the air as fast as they can and the pine trees are still shedding yellow grit, despite a rainstorm and the wind blustering over the weekend. It was a particularly lovely weekend as it was in the high 50s during the day and waaaaaaay into the 30s at night. James joked that we should call it "Indian winter" (if Indian summer is a hot spell in the fall, it would follow, but apparently there is a term for it, a friend told us, "blackberry winter"--per the dictionary: "A blackberry winter is a cold snap in spring, after winter should have been over, that coincides with the time when the blackberries ripen; also called a 'dogwood winter'").

Learn something every day. Of course, when you quit learning things it means you're dead.

2. Do you celebrate anything special this time of year?

Easter? Actually, I've always considered spring a time of mourning; it means summer is coming.

3. Name 3 things that come to mind when you think of spring (or your current season)?

Lilacs, hyacinths and allergy attacks.

4. In the current season, about how many hours of the day are daylight hours?

Too many. We're already on bloody Daylight Saving Time.

5. Do you do any 'spring cleaning?'

The pulling the house apart kind? No. I try to keep it clean all the time, with projects in between. Ironically I think the project James did while I was away is what made him sick. We never could get those blinds he took down clean. I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that they had mold on them.

6. Do you wash your own car or take it to the car wash?

Used to want my own home so I could wash my own car. Ironically, now my back problems preclude this. I take it to the car wash a couple of blocks down. It needs to go. I haven't had it washed since vacation and now since spring came all those pine tassels are everywhere; they're even in the door hinge area.

7. Do you hang your laundry out on a clothesline on nice days?

This would involve going into the back yard, which we avoid doing. It's mostly trees and needs a good cleaning out. The fellow that does our front lawn said he would do it, then realized he couldn't get his riding mower through the gate. I don't think it would be any use to him. The back yard is half covered in trees and on an uneven slope.

Had we known the Ground Force people would actually cross the Atlantic, I would have written to them in the most heartfelt plea I could have mustered. I would have loved to have seen Alan Titchmarsh, Tommy, and Charlie make hash of the mess. (I would have told Charlie "no water feature," though. We have enough problems with mosquitos from the creek across the street. Heck, I keep wondering if James has malaria...)