Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, April 26, 2005
Meme from Thrilling Days of Yesteryear
“Burning Meme-ries…"

Waving at Ivan...

1. What time did you get up this morning?

The usual: 6 a.m. (Shall I quote the Hawkeye line again? "No wonder they shoot people at sunrise. Who wants to live at six in the morning?")

2. Diamonds, pearls or silver?

Diamonds? Ugh. Hate the ugly, colorless things. One of the DJs here is always shilling for a $2000 diamond tennis bracelet from a local jeweler. I told James, "If you bring home something for me that costs $2000, it better be in a big box that says 'Dell' on the side." Of that batch I will take silver, but what I prefer are opals, especially the nice blue Australian ones with the nice fire inside.

3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema?

My answer is almost the same as Brent's, only it was Return of the King.

4. What is your favorite TV show?

LOL. I like Ivan's reply: "There’s not that much bandwidth in the world to answer this one." If they mean recent TV, I would say House, followed closely by Monk, which has degenerated (no fault of Natalie) but is still fun. Past? Lassie, Get Smart, Remember WENN, Ellery Queen (1975 version), Faraday and Company, Fury, Rin Tin Tin, The Littlest Hobo, The Waltons, My World and Welcome to It, Alistair Cooke's America, From the Earth to the Moon, Flambards, Gallegher (on Disney), Star Blazers, Brooklyn Bridge, St. Elsewhere... and another cast of thousands, and last, and not ever, ever least, the incomparable, irreplaceable Ask the Manager.

5. What did you have for breakfast?

Maple and brown sugar Quaker oatmeal.

6. What is your middle name?

Maria. (I'm Italian. Almost all Italian girls have "Maria" somewhere in their name.)

7. What is your favorite cuisine?

Mmmn. Chicken cacciatore, I guess, making sure it has a nice loaf of Italian bread on the side to "zoop" in the sauce. That's the best part. :-)

8. What foods do you dislike?

Green, cooked vegetables, especially spinach. I will eat salad greens until they come out of my ears, but not with fresh spinach in it. Broccoli, cauliflower, okra. Almost any kind of frosting on cake, but especially the icing on Cinnabons and on Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Coconut unless it's either fresh from the shell or in a Mounds bar (too sweet). Fig bars other than Fig Newtons (too sweet). Raisins (too sweet). White chocolate (which isn't really chocolate anyway).

Oh, and liver. Liver smelled so good when my mom used to cook it on Saturdays for my dad. She wrapped it in bacon and you could drift away to heaven on the scent.

Until she let me taste it. Ewwww.

9. What is your favorite chip/crisp flavor?

Sun Chips! Original flavor! They were one of the choices on the plane, instead of peanuts. It almost made waiting a half hour in the security line worth it.

10. What is your favorite CD at the moment?

Um, probably the one in my car with .mp3s of Fibber McGee and Molly on it. Music? Always George Winston and Rupert Holmes and David Huntsinger's "Autumn in New England."

11. What kind of car do you drive?

A purple PT Cruiser, my dream car. I decided to have my mid-life crisis the sensible way.

12. Favorite sandwich?

Jif peanut butter and seedless blackberry jam on a "demi baguette" (at home we call them "buns") from Harry's.

13. What characteristics do you despise?

Those held by bullies, dictators, and child molesters, not to mention torturers of innocent animals.

14. Favorite item of clothing?

Big, comfy warm sweatshirts and pants (another reason I despise warm weather).

15. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go?

Anywhere in Great Britain. I want to see the Downs and the Dales, Sherwood Forest and the New Forest, and all those places Kurtz and Harris talk about in the Adept novels. Like Helene Hanff, I want to see the England of literature. I have two big British road map books and I love to pore over them and recognize places I've read about in books.

16. What color is your bathroom?

Which? The master is my favorite, a summery light blue with "wallies" of clouds, hummingbirds, and topiary trees (it's supposed to be an Italian garden). The hall bath has some ugly pink flowered wallpaper. I would like to get it down and paint it blue grey and white (to tone down the ugly pink tiles around the tub) to give it a sea theme; I have lighthouse and sandpiper prints in there already and a painted wooden anchor with pegs to hang things on. The downstairs bath is pink, too, with blue roses on a wall border. Want to paint it cream color and stencil it with country tulips in navy and burgundy to match the vinyl flooring.

17. Favorite brand of clothing?

Brand? Whatever I need that they sell at Sam's Club, BJs, Costco, "Wally World," and Kmart.

18. Where would you retire to?

New Hampshire!

19. Favorite time of day?

At night when I'm not at work.

20. What was your most memorable birthday?

Um, whatever it was in 1980 (25th). Because I'd fallen facefirst on the concrete floor at work and had to have stitches on my nose. I had to go to Trinity Square Repertory Playhouse to see A Christmas Carol (Mom's birthday gift to me) with a big white bandage on my nose.

21. Where were you born?

Providence, Rhode Island (in "the Lying-In," which is now "Woman and Infants Hospital" (how dull).

22. Favorite sport to watch?

Dog agility trials.

23. Who do you least expect to send this back to you?

LOL. Rodney. But he doesn't have a blog.

24. Person you expect to send it back first?

Emma, of course.

25. What fabric detergent do you use?

All. 'Cause my mom did. (I remember when it was called "Cold Water All.")

26. Coke or Pepsi?

Ugh. Neither. I despise colas. I hate carbonated drinks, period. The only one I could marginally stand was Warwick Club lemon-lime. And it has to be in a bottle. The canned stuff tastes horrible.