Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, April 07, 2005
House Work
A friend commented on my "why Chi McBride on House" post last week by asking why I liked the show seeing that the plot is always so repetitive. Well, it is: patient has severe symptoms, doctors try out treatment, it doesn't work, make diagnosis, it's wrong—until at the eleventh hour they figure it out. The patients themselves add certain quirks to the storyline, but it's pretty much always like that. Also, the patient almost always has (a) an MRI and/or (b) a seizure at some point.

Well, I don't watch House for the plots, I watch it for the interactions of the characters. If I wanted to watch a medical show with a plot, I understand Medical Investigation is better. But if House was just a medical show, I wouldn't be watching it at all; I'm nearly fifty, have several existing medical conditions myself, and really don't want to be reminded of hospitals or my own mortality. It's grumpy, grungy Greg and what he's going to do or say next that's the appeal.

Speaking of House, here's an article that talks about Hugh Laurie and the conception of the series. I love the first line: "Hugh Laurie isn't a bastard, but he plays one on TV." ::snort::