Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, April 29, 2005
As We Feared...
...the doctor took another set of x-rays this afternoon and was worried enough about a fuzzy spot on the lower right lobe of the lungs to have James admitted to the hospital. They didn't have any beds when he called, so we came home, packed some things, and then went to Northside. Didn't have to wait long to be brought into the back, but it took a while to get a room. We asked for a private and had to settle for a semi. The room is dreadfully warm for both of us (James didn't even have a fever when he got there) and I ended up getting a bowl of ice water from the little kitchen they have there and putting a facecloth near it so James can dip it in and bathe his face and neck if he is hot.

The ward was very, very busy, people flying about and doing everything. Because we were admitted so late, James' supper was in the cart they brought up but it never got brought to him. I asked a nurse and she handed me out food which I brought back to the room; I also went into the little kitchen and warmed up one of the tiny cans of Campbell's noodle soup for him.

It was funny; once he got in the room everyone was suddenly there. The girl was in the middle of doing the admitting stuff when the two techs showed up with the...well, I don't know what it's called, but they run it over your legs to make sure there are no DVTs (blood clots). (Both doctors seemed somewhat concerned that this could be caused by a blood clot; I didn't know blood clots gave you intermittent fevers, so I guess you learn something every day.) Then a doctor came in. I suddenly felt as if I were in that Marx brothers movie...what is it, the one where they have the stateroom on the ship and suddenly a million people are in there: Groucho, Harpo, Chico, the manicurist, the guys to fix the heat, etc?

Because of the semi thing, I couldn't stay; heck, I would have had to sling a hammock from the ceiling to fit. I've had an allergy attack all day and been miserable, and the hot room was making my headache worse (I can't believe it's so hot in there; all the other times I've been in it's been freezing in there to keep down the germs). I kept wondering why I felt so weird: then I realized this is the first time I've been at Northside and not been the one in the bed!