Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, March 26, 2005
The Latest News
My mom's doctors have finally decided that the growth near her eye is not going away from chemical means and will have to be taken off via surgical ones. So she is scheduled for surgery on April 7. It's a good thing because she's been complaining about pain in the eye for several months, even as far back as our visit back in November (when she was still taking radiation for the problem).

Unfortunately a side effect of the surgery is that she will need someone to help her out after she gets out of the hospital. In the past my wonderful cousins have filled in on this front. However, at this point my cousin Anna, the main caregiver, is also in need of surgery, and her children need to be with her and would be spread too thin if they had to help out my mom, too.

So I will be flying up there in a couple of weeks. I don't mind going, but I hate to leave James and the critters, to be honest I am still a little afraid of flying alone after 9/11, and it means we will probably miss our annual weekend in the mountains with our friends.

I can only hope this surgery helps her. She's been pretty miserable for a while, she's been inside most of the winter, then the car getting stolen twice was a blow. James has asked that if she is feeling okay I should please get her out for some air and change of pace.

Thank God we got the yard done early and I hope I won't have to worry so much about ants, and that James is pretty self-sufficient. I know men who can't cook anything and look at a washing machine as if it's a foreign object. I'll have the laptop so I can get online and write in my diary; we'll probably end up chatting to each other on IM because it's cheaper than phoning (although we do have the new cell plans; he can call me for free).

To that end I abandoned my DVD dubbing sequence and am copying off Remember WENN--even if I have no idea if it will play on my mom's DVD player. It will play, albeit badly, on the laptop...if I have WENN there will always be a reason to smile. (Which is the reason today I'm in the incongruous position of decorating the Easter tree while watching "Christmas in the Airwaves." It's all right; no matter what time of the year it's good to be with friends.)

I wonder if I've thanked Rupert lately for this show...