Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, March 22, 2005
DVD Transfer Diary Extra
I have these days occasionally--I call 'em "crash and burn" days--where I awaken feeling absolutely ragged out; may have a stuffed nose or a backache or both, and no possible way of keeping my eyes open enough to drive safely. They are the days I stagger back to bed and sleep as late as I can and wake to have soup or oatmeal for lunch and try to stay awake so I can sleep that evening.

So I wouldn't feel like a slug, I continued the DVD dubbing; I wanted to finish The American Experience disks:

  • "Pearl Harbor: Surprise and Remembrance," a 90-minute edition narrated by Jason Robards (who was at Pearl Harbor the day of the attack, as a radioman third class on the U.S.S. Honolulu). An excellent overview of the events leading up to the attack as well as the event itself, along with modern scenes of reunions at the Arizona Memorial.
  • "Journey to America," the story of the immigrants, mainly in their own words accompanied by old photographs and early film.
  • "T.R.," the four-hour story of Theodore Roosevelt, who is one of my favorite Presidents, despite of his imperialistic tendencies. He's infinitely fascinating--the man of action, the naturalist, the indulgent father, the irascible foe of the Trusts.
  • "America 1900," which has had me worried for weeks since I couldn't find the videotape--it was hidden away on a shelf I hadn't checked. From January to December, photos and old film tell the story of that year: the story of the McKinleys, race relations, the Scofield mine disaster, the Galveston hurricane, Americans involved in the Boxer Rebellion, life and death, the state of nature and urban life. When I found the companion book on the bargain table I was overjoyed--another cool history book!

    P.S. I still haven't finished; have to do "World of Tomorrow" (more Jason Robards narration).