Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, February 17, 2005
I Hate It When a Plan Falls Apart
Hmn. Turns out I can't dub off the very last Gallegher story, "The Mystery of Edward Sims." I didn't record this myself; I didn't even know it was on. Someone who had seen my Gallegher web page had a copy of it when it was shown in the middle of the night on the Disney Channel and sent me a copy of his videotape. (This was definitely recorded from television and is not any type of copy from a copy-guarded tape: not only does it have the old Disney Channel promos before it, but Gallegher has never been released to video in any form--trust me, if it had, I would have bought it long ago!)

I tried to dub it first on Tuesday night and failed; 27 minutes into the story the recording just quit. Since there was no way any of the buttons on the remote could have been struck, I was quite puzzled--and annoyed about wasting 20 minutes of good DVD. I had already started it on a DVD that had a mistake on it, since it was about the only thing that would fit, and now it too had failed.

So last night I found a fresh DVD and tried again. About 25 minutes into the story, there is a drop-out from the cable signal that lasts for about a minute, maybe more. I thought that might be the problem, but the recorder sailed over that part with no problem. However, when the machine resumes speed, there is a minutely faint flickering that evidently cues the DVD recorder into thinking it is a copy-guarded tape and it comes to a dead halt. Nuts.