Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, February 10, 2005
Bad Luck Stone?
Hope Diamond Cut from French Crown Jewel

I've heard stories about the Hope Diamond since I was a kid. Apparently it was supposed to have been unlucky and Evelyn Walsh McLean, who owned the stone, would not allow her friends to handle it. A very touching story I heard about the diamond was that McLean used to bring it to wards in military hospitals during World War II and let the soldiers play catch with it. But she stipulated that only terminally ill soldiers could touch it, because they had nothing to lose.

The story is probably apocryphal because I have found other stories saying that McLean loaned the diamond to friends who were getting married and let others try it on.