Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, January 14, 2005
Pretty Wings
This morning when I left the house I was preoccupied thinking about my route and until I had closed the car door didn't notice that a group of birds seemed to be flying around our front yard and in the front yard of the house next door. Suddenly I looked out the car window in amaze.

There is a little picket fence that separates our house from the one next door; our friends who owned this house previously had to put it up because of the attitude of the persnickety tenant that lived there when they still were here. She kept claiming people were stepping in her yard; John put the fence up on the property line to shut her up. So I call it "the spite fence."

Well, there on top of two of the pickets were bluebirds. I'd never seen one so close before: bright blue upper body, the orange breast and the cream underbelly. A less brightly-colored one also momentarily lighted on the fence. (Maybe a female?) There were also a couple of slate-colored birds the same size as a sparrow, and there, perching on the trunk of the tree in the other yard in the usual upside down position was a nuthatch, the big white "bandit mask" on his dark face vivid in the morning sun.

The bird feeder was empty and they all flew away as I rushed out to refill it. I hope they will rediscover it and come back. (And I hope they watch out for the feral cats.)