Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, January 28, 2005
Hold the Stuffing
My nose doesn't need it. I've got a wretched headcold. I was all right on Wednesday, but by the time I got to work yesterday my nose was rapidly stuffing up. I swallowed Advil, took a nap in the warm car, but it got worse and worse until last night I tossed and turned trying to breathe through my mouth. I had to do some important errands--mailing my mom's birthday gift!--this morning, then came home for soup and hibernation.

I'm continuing the start I made on dubbing off my videotapes to DVD. I tried to start America last night and was yanked up short; my first two episodes were dubbed from tapes that were copyguarded and the DVD recorder picks up the copyguard and comes to a dead stop. Dammit. I would have bought the professional copies had anyone sold them; they only went to libraries. I guess history buffs aren't viable consumers.

I dubbed off two episodes of The American Experience last night, my favorite "The Hurricane of '38" and "The Johnstown Flood." (I was going to put my other special favorite, "Coney Island," with the hurricane, but I figured the flood and the hurricane had a theme: water. I'll put "Coney Island" with "Barnum's Big Top" to have an entertainment disk--or "Coney" with "New York Underground" and have a New York disk and put "Barnum" with "Mr. Sears' Catalog" to have an American culture disk.)

Right now, I'm dubbing off the two "depressing ones," as James calls them: "Influenza 1918" and "Surviving the Dust Bowl." He won't have to watch them.

I also dubbed off Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (telecast before the opening of EPCOT in 1982) and discovered you can choose what you want for a thumbnail on the index. Cool!