Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, December 09, 2004
Thursday Threesome

• This Week's:

::Jingle Bells::

Onesome- Dashing through the snow: Do you get much snow where you live? Do you enjoy winter sports like skiing or would you rather stay in by the cozy fire?

No, unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be. I love snow. I love to walk in it. However, if I tried to shovel snow now after years of inaction, I'd probably have a heart attack.

Twosome- In a one horse open sleigh: Have you ever been on a sleigh ride or a carriage ride? Do you even like horses? Or would you just rather travel by your own two feet?

I've never been on a sleigh ride but would like to. I was on a carriage ride at least once, in Helen, GA. I've even ridden a horse. I was up too high and it made me queasy, but it was a nice ride anyway. I don't want a horse. They're expensive to keep and to keep them properly you need to spend a lot of time with them.

Threesome- O'er the fields we go: What's the first thing that pops into your mind when someone says field? Corn? Football field? Outfield?

The field across the street from our house when I was a kid. There were two levels to it, the upper field where we had outdoor gym class (my junior high was across the street) and the lower field where the guys played baseball on summer nights. This was a right-of-way for the railroad and you could cross the field and cross the train tracks. The tracks are gone and it's a bicycle trail now, and the field has been fixed up. There's a jogging track around it and a playground and they've replaced the batting cages.

It looks spiffy but I kinda preferred it when it was wild.

• Last Week's:

::Dancing Polar Bears::

Onesome: Dancing-- Dancing? Does anyone go dancing anymore? I mean, disco died, and the club scene? Hmmm... Is dancing dead? ...or are we just here on the web instead of out for the evening?

Dunno. A lot of fun things aren't done any longer. Maybe folks have two left feet like I do. James and I shuffled through our first dance at our wedding reception.

Twosome: Polar-- Polar bears seem to do well in the snow... How about you? Is snow just another thing you deal with when it shows up, or is it shutdown time? ...and if you're posting from a non-snowy locale, do you make trips to actually see snow? It's okay to admit it...

I love the snow. It's ice I don't like. You actually have good traction on snow as long as you don't go too quickly. Ice is just treacherous. I tried to see snow over vacation, but we didn't have time to go quite north enough. They were probably making snow at Killington and Pico.

Threesome: Bears-- Bears? Christmas Bears? Have you seen the number of bears on the shelf this year? Are you getting one for anyone? ...or are you looking forward to receiving one? ...or do you still think that inguana in the elf outfit is more your style ?

I am probably one of the only women on earth who doesn't give a fig about bears. I had a special teddy when I was little, but still preferred my stuffed dogs. I have two bears right now, but they are special gifts that I keep because of the sentiment. Most of the time when I get bear-themed things I give them to people who like bears.

• Thanksgiving Week's:

::Christmas Bells are Ringing::

Onesome: Christmas-- Is it Thanksgiving? ...or just the day before the start of the "Christmas Season"? (...and how are you supposed to shop if you're all stuffed with food?) Hey, is anyone going out tomorrow to save tons of money standing in endless lines with 10,000 of your closest friends? Just curious...

Oh, it was Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving, and I hate the fact that Christmas prep starts so early, distracting people from it. We have gone shopping on previous Fridays--if you get up early enough and plan your route with the sale papers, it's actually fun and profitable. Two years ago we got nearly $200 of computer parts and equipment for about $40. But this year we were away and didn't have much room in the car--the darn car is a TARDIS considering how much extra we did squeeze in it: the books we bought, my dad's memorabilia box, a manuscript, the bags of sugar-free candy, the bag of things from the Vermont Country store--oh, yeah, and that extensible Wolfgarten pole for the rake! We had to fold half the back seat down to get it home, but we made it.

Twosome: Bells-- Okay, we'll give in and admit that maybe the season has started: what decorations are you looking forward to seeing in the next few days? ...the lights in the downtown? How about knowing you'll soon have a tree with that memorable ornament? The Toys for Tots drop off? What makes you comfortable knowing the Christmas season is really here?

Oh, the beautiful multicolor Christmas lights and the music. I love both. Sometimes I play Christmas music when I'm depressed, but it doesn't feel quite right; now is just the time for it.

Threesome: are Ringing-- ...in your ears? What song are you just dreading to hear this season? Come on, the one that just makes you scrunch up inside and want to duck into an iron foundry so you can't hear it? Weird Al? Something from "The Nutcracker"? Those dogs? I mean come on, there's some bad stuff out there ...

Even worse than the dogs. "The Christmas Shoes." Once upon a time, this was a beautiful little anecdote about a man (or a woman, depending on which version) who discovers the real meaning of Christmas from two little children who purchase a last Christmas gift for their dying mother. Then it was expanded into a book and a totally bathotic Christmas song that makes me flinch every time it plays.